If you are passionate about making a career out of exercise and have successfully completed Grade 12, becoming a Personal Trainer will allow you to work in a range of facilities, gyms, or leisure centres, offering one-on-one training to your clients or exercise sessions to small groups.
How to Become a Personal Trainer?
The first step towards achieving this goal is to complete a Personal Trainer Certificate Course through one of eta College’s professional sports management training centres across South Africa. Our personal trainer certificate is an accredited qualification that is recognised by the Register of Exercise Professionals in South Africa (REPSSA).
Is the eta College Personal Trainer Course Accredited?
The Personal Trainer Certificate is registered on the NQF at Level 5 and offers 86 credits. It is quality assured by CATHSSETA and delivered through a combination of seminars and workshops plus self-study. The duration of the course is approximately nine months.
Our well-researched course in exercise science will provide you with the applied knowledge and skills that you will need to start work immediately as a Personal Trainer.
What Will a Personal Trainer Course Teach me?
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Apply anatomical and biomechanical principles to physical activity
- Apply principles of sport and exercise physiology
- Design exercise programmes
- Conduct a screening procedure
- Test and evaluate health-related fitness
- Promote awareness of nutritional principles
- Instruct exercise to individuals and groups
- Motivate and encourage participation in physical activity
- Operate professionally in a sport, recreation, or fitness environment
- Supervise the use of a fitness facility and equipment
- Maintain a fitness environment and equipment
- Provide for safety & risk management in sport, fitness, or recreation
- Apply entrepreneurship to the administration of a fitness business
Where can I Study Personal Training in South Africa?
The Personal Training Course is offered at the following eta College campuses and through a Distance Learning programme.
- Cape Town
- Port Elizabeth
If you complete additional eta College short courses, you will be able to offer your clients more options and enhance your employment prospects. Our short courses include Pilates, Yoga, Aerobics, Step and Tone and Indoor Cycling.
What Qualifications Do I Need to Study Personal Training?
Along with your Grade 12 National Senior Certificate and a minimum overall pass rate of 30-39%, you will need access to a BP cuff and stethoscope, skinfold callipers and a tape measure.
What Career Opportunities Does a Personal Training Qualification Provide?
Once you have qualified as a Personal Trainer, the fitness industry is your oyster. Cruise ships, resorts, spas, schools, retirement centres and gyms will all look for your skills. Once you have built up a healthy client base, you can eventually open your own gym or fitness centre.
Contact us to find out more about the Personal Trainer Course offered by eta College.