You are able to design, manage and monitor exercise programmes for each special population group (pregnancy, children and youth and older adults) who want to enhance their health and improve their fitness. Additionally, because lifestyle diseases are increasing in their prevalence across all spectra of the population, you will also learn about the chronic diseases of lifestyle so that you can assist clients in reducing their disease risk, promote their health and enhance their fitness, while working within your professional scope of practice.
In the context of special populations, once qualified, you are able to screen, assess and fitness test special population groups. You will also be able to implement safe and effective exercise programmes for special population groups.
Additionally, you will be able to provide advice and support in terms of health, lifestyle and exercise management to special population groups.
The Fitness Diploma (Exercise Specialist) learning programme provides a good balance of theory and practice to enable graduates to work as personal trainers and exercise specialist trainers whose clientele are the apparently healthy special populations’ group. This group includes pregnant clients, children and adolescents as well older adults and overweight clients. Graduates are able to work in the health and fitness industry nationally and internationally. The programme ensures that students have sufficient field- based experiential learning to achieve their qualification. Through the eta process of personalised teaching and exposure to plenty of physical activity and sport, students are able to successfully achieve their assessment criteria.
• Design, implement and manage a physical activity programme for apparently healthy individuals or groups and apparently healthy special population groups (Pregnant women, children, youth and older adults).
• Demonstrate knowledge of the environment and the context in which physical activity takes place.
• Conduct and interpret pre-participation screening for physical readiness.
• Assess, evaluate and monitor health related fitness components.
• Feedback and referrals as it relates to physical activity.
• Design and demonstrate exercise programmes.
• Motivate and support participants in making activity related and wellness decisions.
• Demonstrate entrepreneurial, administration and business skills as well as the ability
to incorporate IT technology.
• Demonstrate the ability to discern the quality and validity of research information.
• Manage, project and conduct oneself in a professional manner.
Screening & Assessment
Exercise Programme Design
Special Needs in Fitness
Health & safety in Sport & Exercise
Instructing Exercise to Individuals & Groups
Entrepreneurship & Fitness Business Management
Exercise Physiology and Special Populations
Anatomy & Biomechanics & Special Populations
Assessment & Special Populations
Nutrition for Special Populations
Exercise Programme for Children & Youth
Chronic Diseases of Lifestyle & Common Injuries
Exercise Programme for Older Adults
Exercise Programme for Pregnancy
You will need to have a grade 12 school leaving certificate or an equivalent NQF Level 4 qualification.
Population specific personal training e.g. pregnant women, children and youth or older adults.