Exercise Programme Design for Pregnancy is an elective specialisation intended to extend the scope of practice of graduates who are qualified with a Diploma in Fitness but who may not have chosen this elective during their course of study.
This specialisation can also be taken for continued professional development (CPD) for graduates with a Diploma in Fitness. The course is recognised by the Register of Exercise Professionals South Africa (REPSSA). REPSSA is part of ICREPS; an international confederation of registers for exercise professionals which operates world-wide, allowing members to work anywhere in the world.
It is important for fitness practitioners to understand the modifications, risks and benefits associated with exercise training for this special population. On successful completion of this course, graduates will be able to implement and monitor exercise programmes for pregnant participants. This is a 20-credit programme at NQF level 5.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
1. Explain the benefits and risks associated with physical activity for pregnancy.
2. Design the appropriate exercise programme based on information obtained during the screening.
3. Plan and modify exercise programmes, according to the health and fitness status.
4. Demonstrate and lead exercise programmes, utilising correct execution techniques and ensuring safe utilisation of exercise accessories.
5. Display the level of communication, supervision and appropriate monitoring required for teaching exercise to this special group.
Course manual, a study guide and portfolio of evidence (PoE) file and Log Book.
Students wishing to attend this elective specialisation must have successfully completed their Diploma in Fitness (NQF level 5, 240 credits minimum). They should also have an understanding of the anatomical, physiological and nutritional implications for exercise for children and youth as well as screening and assessment so that they can apply this in the design of programmes for this population group.
Pregnancy Programme design specialist